The Association for Academic Language and Learning (AALL) represents academic language and learning educators working in higher and further education institutions.
The members of AALL play a vital role in their institutions by providing teaching, support and expertise to assist students in developing appropriate academic skills to enable them to succeed at their studies. To do this, ALL educators collaborate with other staff in the development of teaching and learning resources and activities alongside and embedded in the curriculum.
This role is an important one in today’s higher and further education institutions, given the increasing pressures to maintain excellence in teaching and learning with diminishing resources and given that there is good evidence that ALL educators are indeed able to impact on students’ development of skills, and overall success and retention.
The AALL Position Statement outlines the perspectives of the Association for Academic Language and Learning (AALL) on the range of knowledge, professional insights, and expertise requisite for academic language and learning educators in higher and further education.
In existence since 2005, AALL is committed to promoting and providing academic language and learning development through policies, practices and research that build, enhance and extend teaching and learning opportunities for all students and staff in all higher and further education settings.
The goals of AALL are to:
- facilitate communication and collaboration among AALL members and to provide a forum for the discussion of policy, practice and research,
- work towards institutional environments which provide the highest quality of learning experiences for all students and for all staff,
- support the development of core, disciplinary academic and professional skills and attributes in all tertiary education students,
- foster the recognition of the academic nature of the work of language and learning development through individual and collaborative research within and across tertiary institutions nationally and internationally,
- promote quality, diversity, internationalisation and flexibility in language and learning development,
- use publications and conferences to inform the wider academic community about the philosophies and practices of language and learning development in tertiary education, and
- act as a lobbying body on issues relevant to AALL members.
- the AALL Inc. committee members be representative of tertiary institutions across Australian states and territories.
AALL is committed to promoting and providing academic language and learning development through policies, practices and research that build, enhance and extend teaching and learning opportunities for all students and staff in tertiary education settingsAALL mission statement
AALL was formed in 2005 and since then has served as the professional body for ALL educators.
ALL educators work in most Australasian universities/tertiary institutions under the classification of either professional or academic staff.
AALL Executive for 2020